Monday, August 28

Utah and Yellowstone to Come; Alabama for Now

I still have to locate our camera and download the pictures before I can share with you our amazing trip out west. So for now I'll let you in on a little stress that's come over my poor husband.

He got a job offer. Now, different people react to things differently. For example, I'd be breaking out the bubbly (if certain circumstances were different - you knew I was pregnant, right? I assume everyone who reads this is either family or was at Ashley and Paul's wedding). But Josh thinks things over a little more thoroughly than I do. He has to weigh all his options. See, the difficult thing about this job is that it would require a move to Huntsville, Alabama. And this is a difficult decision for Josh because he is only 4 credits shy of completing his Ph.D. at Purdue (he could do his dissertation remotely) and that traslates into a year's worth of classes. The company in Alabama is not willing to wait any longer than the end of the semester. I think that's the main concern for him, but there are others. For one, the company is only 10 years old and the division that he would be working for is brand-spanking-new. That means there might be some instability. Another is that they have to win government grants to continue funding their projects and so in two years, if they don't win any more, the project is dead and that would leave Josh with a project he didn't sign on for. And of course, there's the fact that Olivia might develop a Forrest Gump accent.

But that's only looking at the negatives, and that's not the way I look at the world! When I look at this situation, I see... well, let's be perfectly honest here, I see the paycheck first and foremost. It's hard being married to a student - and we'll soon be a family of four! I was in the WIC office getting coupons for free groceries the day we found out about this offer. Of course I wanted him to take the job! I also see a great opportunity for Josh to get involved in the area he wants (attitude control, for those who don't know or might have forgotten). And what really are the odds that this company is going to crash? And I believe that if he got this job, he would prove himself in no time; his work ethic and dedication are the finest examples I've ever seen. If this currect project doesn't continue to get funding, they would simply relocate him. And if it were to a department he is not as interested in, then he could search for another job that suits him better. Did I mention that this job in Alabama would put him in a leadership position within a core group of engineers? How great would that look on a resume? I'd say about as good as a Ph.D. from Purdue. I don't think he'd have a problem finding a job he was more interested in.

But then... what about his goal to become a professor someday? Without a Ph.D., that wouldn't work. But then again, at universities, they don't necessarily look at the alma mater as much as an engineering firm would. Not all the professors at Purdue graduated from Purdue. He could get it from the University of Alabama in Huntsville. They even have a world-renowned researcher in controls that teaches there. But he's worried if he doesn't get his Ph.D. soon, he'll get distracted by career and a growing family and it won't happen til he's 65.

Well, speaking of getting distracted by family, Olivia's crying. She's not going to sleep very well tonight. What do you think? Should we move to Alabama?

5 comments:

ashley said...

If ya'll move to Huntsville, you'll be (somewhat) close to be!! Hooray!! :-D

I see Josh's concerns, but can he pick up a PhD along the way? It seems that real-time experience at a job will look great on a resume. Usually (hen you're young), the hardest part is getting that first job. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in what you want to do in order to support your family. I have a feeling Josh will finish his degree - he's pretty dedicated!

But all in all, it's ya'lls decision - pray about it, and see where God is leading you!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...your assumption was wrong, occasionally you get a reader that is neither a family member nor an attender of Ashley and Paul's wedding (Hi Ashley and Paul, I don't know you but congratulations!)...and that reader would be Steve (of Steve and Mindy). Yes, it's true, Josh sent me this link awhile back (on 10/18/2005 at 11:57PM to be exact). Anyway, WOW you're prego with #2...CONGRATS! You guys are really starting to make Mindy and I look like slackers... The job sounds pretty cool too, but I think you forgot to look at the negative of being far away from us, I mean really who is Olivia going to throw ice with now...sad really. Anyway, sounds like a lot has happened since we last hung out together...perhaps you should call us (I'd say we'd call you but refer back to the aforementioned slacker comment). Am I rambling now? I may be rambling. Bye.

Anonymous said...

hello guys!i think that josh should go into the farming buisness and yall should move back here to missoura.hehehe if you need me to bribe you i will. (we have netflix and can get unlimited episodes of alias and arrested development) well anyways i have to go get ready for a volleyball game against versailles!!!! give olivia a hug and kiss for me!

ashley said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Jes said...

I think it would be great if you moved to Alabama, that would be a lot closer to me! but I do understand all the different things affecting the decision. Could Josh finish his schooling online through Perdue? You posted a lot of pictures :) I have a bunch of Livi from when you were here, they are cute. and i did not realize how puffy I was from being pregnant until I look at the pictures now. Boy am I glad i had her early... I think I'l post some pictures on my blog...