Tuesday, November 28

Grammar Lesson

It seems there are a lot of confused people out there concerning the use of the pronoun "I" when used with multiple subjects, or rather, objects of the preposition, I guess. I keep hearing sentences like this:
She went with him and I to the store.
It's like people are afraid of making the "me" mistake that makes hillbillies so comical to listen to. It's okay to say the word "me"!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember from grade school:
When there are multiple subjects with the pronoun "I", take out the other subjects to see if the word "I" makes sense. Does this make sense:
She went with I to the store.
Nope, it sure doesn't. It's:
She went with him and me to the store.
I'll get down off my soap box now.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

That's the way I remember it. And thank you for pointing this out.

Anonymous said...

I remember getting into quite a heated argument about this one time. :-) I should pass this on to my opponant. ;-)

Anonymous said...

That was me, Ashley, by the way. I don't know why they keep putting "applebutter729" as my default name instead of Ashley. It's usually a sign that the blog is the new beta version. Have you switched?

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

I know who applebutter is. Sheesh. :-) And yes, I switched this morning in hopes of blogger working better. So far it is. But it's only been a couple hours.

Anonymous said...

You are right, "I" is subjective, "me" is objective.