Tuesday, May 8

Our "Unsightly" Attempts to Save Money

May 8, 2007

Dear [Community Manager],

I received your note concerning the "unsightly" appearance of my clothesline and I have a few questions, comments, and suggestions. Thank you for your time in considering the following.

First of all, while I appreciate and respect your aesthetic opinion of my balcony, I cannot find in my lease where my balcony décor is restricted. If you could show me where that is located I would gladly have a more in-depth conversation with you about what is and is not considered "unsightly". I do understand that nobody wants to see our socks. I have always taken pains to make sure larger objects such as towels or sheets are on the line closest to the courtyard so as to block the view of smaller more personal items.

Second, in response to the washer and dryer you have provided for my use, I have several comments and even some complaints. We live on a very tight budget where every penny counts. Spending $1.25 to dry a load of laundry would cost us over $60 every month. That is 6,000 more pennies that we can afford on a dryer. The ironic part is that even if we did spend the money on the provided dryer, the clothes would not be dry. Even after 60 minutes on the hottest cycle, they would still need to be hung out to finish drying. My biggest complaint about the provided washer and dryer, though, is actually the room in which they are kept. In my ten months of enjoying this apartment, I have never once seen that floor swept. It is the equivalent to an unkempt basement. In fact, the last time I went down there, the light bulb had burnt out and I had to operate in the dark. Most times when I visit the laundry room I have to take my toddler with me as she can not be left unattended. I have to make her either stand outside the laundry room or sit on top of the dryer to avoid her picking up something unsafe or simply becoming dirty from being in that room.

I recognize that there is an in-between option of hanging my clothes on drying racks inside my apartment. I have been doing this all winter, while eagerly anticipating the arrival of the spring sun for many reasons. Drying laundry outside decreases a drying time of over 24 hours down to 3 hours. The wind and sun soften the laundry. The sun bleaches out stains (and I have a toddler; I have stains!). But also, the drying racks take up a good portion of our living room. Hanging the laundry outside helps us appreciate our spacious floorplan.

Lastly, I have a question about the "hazard" you mentioned a clothesline could be in your note. My husband and I have tried and we cannot come up with an example to prove your point. If my clothesline is, indeed, a hazard, then we would like to work with you to come up with a solution that would allow us to safely continue to dry our clothes. I do not wish to put others or ourselves at risk – not even for softer, drier, cleaner laundry.

Thank you again for considering the above. I look forward to hearing a response from you.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Zapf

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ATTA GIRL, Beth. You tell 'em.

I think your picture of the laundry hanging out to dry in the sun is actually a work of art. Beauty, however, is in the eye of the beholder...

Love,
GMOM

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

*giggle* I love my mommy.

Joanna said...

Did you actually send this?!
I hope so :)

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Waiting for Josh's approval... :-D

ashley said...

I really hope they respect your desire to dry your clothes on the balcony! This is a great letter; you did a good job on it. See you didn't even need my help. :-)

Susan said...

I saw this linked on Ashley's sidebar and just had to come over and read. I think your letter was brilliant! And unsightly? I've always considered fresh-drying laundry to be a very picturesque addition to any landscape.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Thank you Ashley, though you did help me out! And plus, you're spreading the word of my cause through your blog (which is more read than mine, hehe)!

And thank you Susan; I agree with you about the quaint peacefulness of a clothesline moving gently in a summer breeze... *sigh*. If you go back a few posts, you'll find one that contains a bazillion pictures of my adorable children. At the end, you'll see a picture of my clothesline at the very end of the post. Isn't it pretty? "Unsightly"... bah!

Anonymous said...

Hah! Did you read my letter to my neighbors?

Susan said...

Thanks for pointing those pictures out, Beth. Those are great! That is very picturesque. . . and your children are adorable! I'd already seen lots of Olivia pictures, but I'm not sure I'd seen Benjamin pictures. He's so cute :-).

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Bonnie, I did read the letter to your neighbor... but didn't comment. :-) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as my mom said above. :-D

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing as I write this. Awesome. I am so proud of you right now, and I will be very disappointed if you do not send it...

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

You will all be happy to know that I dropped off this letter (in person, no less!) at the apartment office yesterday. We'll see what comes next. If they want to fight this, I'll just point out the propane grill across the way that is more than merely "unsightly" but actually illegal!

Hopefully they'll just let me be.