Wednesday, October 25

Disappointment

I've got some disappointing news. I was supposed to have my first prenatal appointment today. It wasn't anything personal or informational. It was just to fill out paperwork and give blood so they could make another appointment for later with a nurse practitioner. But... I didn't have my appointment today. I went and signed in and everything and waited to be called. Then a lady came and told me that I wasn't supposed to bring anybody with me; that I couldn't take Livi back with me. She said I should have known because they told me when they called me. I told them nobody called me and she checked and said, "Well, I tried four times." If I had known they were going to call me, I would have told them I'd changed my number! So she told me to reschedule. And guess when the nearest appointment was? November 22. :-( I started to cry! I'll be 22 weeks pregnant before they'll even let me fill out paperwork! Why don't they just mail it to me? I'll fill it out at home! So I'll be at least 23 weeks before I see the nurse practitioner (they won't make the appointment for that until after I fill out the paperwork and who knows how long the wait will be, hopefully just a week, not another month - I'll have given birth before I see anybody!) Anyways, the real disappointment is, I've read that the window for finding out the baby's gender is from 16-20 weeks. Isn't that sad? That means I'll have missed it.

8 comments:

ashley said...

I can't believe they wouldn't let you take Olivia with you!! That's ridiculous.

As far as the baby's gender, perhaps this is God's way of making the decision for you. :-) And then you can tell me whether you prefer to know or not know for whenever we start having kids.

Whitney said...

That is terribly frustrating and they definitely should have worked with you. They also should have reconfirmed your contact information when you made the appointment in the first place. You might want to continue to call in every couple of days and ask if they have any cancellations, and/or tell them you will take a last-minute cancellation if they ever have one (if that's possible with Olivia). You might also want to call later today and speak with someone else and tell them the whole story ... it sounds like the person you spoke with was abnormally unsympathetic.

However, good news about not getting to know if it's a boy or girl! God is on MY side!

Whitney said...

P.S. In case you forgot, I am Joel's friend. Goodybe.

Anonymous said...

Ya,I agree with Whitney! God really IS on her side!

FJ said...

I disagree... we are on God's side! (Just had to throw some theological daggers out there :)
As for the office, I really would call them again and talk to another person. Especially if you get a man, talk them down, you're pregnant for goodness sake, it doesnt last forever!! (And you are probably glad for that!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ashley can be an intimidating reader, she being so good and all.
So, what is an RSS feeder? I don't know what I was doing! I wanted to be able to see who was stopping by my site, but recently everytime I've looked it just says "no RSS feed" So I thought that i would change that... I want you to know when I post... then I get awesome comments! :)

Anonymous said...

Is there a possibility of using a different care provider? I switched at about 27 weeks and it wasn't too big a problem- since my new provider is much more flexible than the old one. If the office staff and rules are this inflexible, that may be important to consider. I know it's a stressful time to make a change, but it could reduce your stress level once the change is made and you are working with people who will work with you.

Don't be too disappointed by the gender deal. You can find out baby's gender any time after 16 weeks or so- there's not a narrow "window" like perhaps you've been told. I had 4 ultrasounds so they could monitor something that was going on. The last one was at 23 weeks and there would have been no problem seeing the gender at that time had I wanted to (I didn't.) They can also find out the gender through amniocentesis at any time, if you are not afraid of needles.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

We've looked into getting me on Josh's insurance, but the deadline was in September and unless we get divorced and then married again, they won't let me on. There's nothing else that will take us that we can afford. Private insurance with maternity coverage is an extra $500 a month, or at least it was when we looked it up a couple years ago.