Friday, June 17

3 Cm, 75%, and -1

Now I suppose I have to explain the title to all you non-pregnant people, huh? Okay, here goes:

I went to the doctor yesterday and this is what she said (this sounds like a childhood chanting/clapping game...):

I'm 3 cm dialated. 10 centimeters is when I start pushing. The book I have says that the first stage of labor (latent labor), which is the longest and least painful, is the dialation of the cervix to 3 cm. So check that one off my list. But I'm not having contractions, and there's been no water-breakage... so I'm not in the hospital yet.

I'm 75% effaced. Effacing is the thinning of the cervix. When I get to 100%, it's time to have the baby.

The baby's head is at the position known as -1. I believe it starts at -4 and moves downward. When the head gets to 0, it's at the cervix and labor's ready to begin.

So the doctor said that this means the baby could come anytime from a few days to a few weeks from now. But she says it looks like they won't have to induce - my body's doing its job quite well on it's own. And she said that I may be early, may go up to my due date, and probaby won't go past it.

Personally, I'm hoping it happens within a few days. That way I can make all those silly early July weddings. Plus, I'm tired of having an overactive little being inside me trying to escape through my rib cage.

So, sorry to those of you who may have placed any bets on dates after July 8, but it looks like you won't be getting any fabulous prize. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then by all means, check it out.

Well, I'm going to get back to Matlock.

3 comments:

ashley said...

Yay!!!!! I better be at the top of that list!! ;-) Heheh I don't care, just as long as you call me. :-)

Anonymous said...

pshhh, the baby is gonna be late. don't you worry about that.

FJ said...

Aww... man! I wanted you to be FAT at my wedding :)
That's ok, we marked you for 1 infant. So you better not have quads, or else we got to find some more sitters! :)
Hopefully see you in just over a week!