Wednesday, June 15

Who Wants To Be A Hoosier, Anyway...

So I went to the BMV yesterday (Indiana doesn't have DMV's, they have BMV's... they're special). Well, before I went, I did study. It was in PDF format and quite confusing and frustrating. Josh told me basically what concepts were on the test he had to take and I went over those, but I didn't study too hard, I mean, I've been driving for how many years now?

So after waiting in line for about 30 minutes (short line, I know!), I get my test and cram my pregnant self into one of those little desks and start the frustrating humiliation that is the Indiana written driver's test.

First of all, let me just say this. If you are over 18, you should not have to answer retarded questions about drivers education. I don't care whether you have to be 16 and 30 days with a permit for 60 days or 16 and 180 days with a permit for 60 days to get your license. (Yes, that was actually on there: How old must you be to get your license) How, exactly, does that pertain to me?! And do YOU know how a 16 year old with a waiver to get his/her license can get it revoked? Which would you have chosen: A) get a speeding ticket B) quit school C) fail the written test. I don't have a frickin waiver. And I thought my answer made sense! Let's see, what other questions did they put on there to simply humiliate me? If you have a probationary license (which you get if you're under 18), you can only drive with someone in the front seat who is 21 or older for the first 30, 60, 90, or 180 days. Um, I'm 22!! None of that pertains to me! And there were a few more. And you're only allowed to miss four questions.

Some other questions that they had that didn't have to do with ignorant teenagers but were still retarded: When driving at night, should you switch your highbeams off in the presence of an oncoming car at A) 500 feet, B) 400 feet C) 300 feet or D) 200 feet. I switch mine off as soon as I see another car approaching! But that answer wasn't on there and the one I guessed was incorrect. And if your following a car at night, should you switch off your high beams at A) 400 feet B) 300 feet, C) 200 feet D) 100 feet. And when should you put on your turn signal? A) 50 feet before the turn, B) 100 feet, C) 150 feet, or D) 200 feet. And if your going over 50 mph, when should you put on your turn signal? A) 300 feet, B) 150 feet, C) 100 feet D) 50 feet. And, if you need to make an emergency stop with antilock brakes in icy situations, what should you do? A) brake hard and steer normally, B) Don't pump the brake, C) give yourself plenty of time to stop or D) all of the above. Well, folks, I've had to make an emergency stop with antilock brakes in an icy situation before, and I braked hard and steered normally, right off the road! So I figured it wasn't that one or the all of the above one, and I've had people tell me to pump my brakes when skidding, so I didn't choose that one either. Which would you have chosen?

Well, that's all the retardation that I can remember. Needless to say, I'm still an Illinois resident and PROUD OF IT!

Grrrr...
Beth

2 comments:

peak said...

woo Illinois! you think Indiana's bad, you should live in Oklahoma for awhile :-P

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Yeah? What's wrong in the panhandle state? Besides the dustiness of it all, of course.