Wednesday, June 8

update (already?!)

So Josh was looking up that ITT job the other day, and... it wasn't there anymore. So we spent the day being very sad. Then, the next day (yesterday) he got an email from them asking if he was still interested! So we were happy! He called and left a message and then kicked me off the internet (he gave them our home phone instead of our cell phone - silly boy) and we waited for a few hours. So the lady calls back and we finally find out the details on this mysterious job:
It is an online class.
Josh would be in charge of grading papers and tests and facilitating assignments.
He would only have to show up at the actual school one night a week from 6-10 to answer questions and give a mini-lesson if needed.
Oh, it's a 200 level physics class.
It pays $1700 for 11 weeks.
Needless to say, no benefits.
There is a summer session that starts June 16.

Josh is at a meeting right now with the lady asking more questions, like how many students will be in the class? How many hours approximately would this job consume? Would he get paid regularly, or only at the end in one lump sum?

I think we've pretty much decided (unless there are 200+ students in the class) that he will at least take the summer session. It'll just be money in the bank since we live off of his stipend check and my check that keeps on coming throughout the summer. That way we'll be able to have somewhat of a savings for the next school year. Or be able to pay off hospital bills, whichever needs the money. As far as working there during the school year, well, that depends on how much time it consumes, which we will find out this summer. Also, there is the possibility of teacing a higher level course, which would pay $2000 instead of $1700, and the possibility of teaching more than one course at a time. But he's also still waiting for some charter and desperate high schools to contact him about teaching there. That would be a whole lot more money and benifits as well. But, it would demand more time and the hours would not be nearly as flexible and he would not be able to work at home. So, in short, we've pretty much found the perfect summer job, at least.

So, what have I been doing with my free time? I've consolidated my loans (by the way, grads, you need to do this before July 1!! The interest rates right now are 3.37 about, but they're going up to 5.something - it's a 65% increase is what I heard. If you consolidate, it'll lock in that low rate (Whoah, I sound like a Sallie Mae salesperson)). I've researched car insurance and got us some just in the nick of time. I don't think I told you, but our Illinois agent told us awhile ago that since grad school is considered a career choice rather than an educational one, they consider Indiana our permanent address and we needed to find an Indiana agent. But our Illinois agent for some reason still had us on the multi car discount from when we had the Probe, and so we were paying $60/mo instead of $90 (doesn't make sense, does it?). When I tried to switch it to Indiana, they took off the discount and so it would cost us $30 more a month to insure half as many cars as what Illinois had us down for. So I looked around so see what other companies would charge, but eventually ran out of time, and plus, I know nothing about car insurance, so it was frustrating. Long story short, our Illinois coverage expired this morning at midnight and I finally agreed to simply switch to an Indiana agent sometime around 2p.m. yesterday afternoon. :-D So no lapse in coverage. And, to make up for the extra $30/mo, the agent told me that if I were to get renters insurance for up to $10,000, it would take 10% off of our car insurance payment, and would only cost $10 more a month. So for basically the same price, we've insured all our belongings. Now I need to go around and take pictures of our apartment so that if there was a fire or a theft, I could claim that $10,000. I'm not sure that was interesting to you at all. So, if you've gotten this far, congratulations.

What else have I done? Hmm... I've applied to two schools about part-time kindergarten jobs. But when I called IPS to specifically request the kindergarten job, they said they had none, which went against what my friend had told me about a week ago. Oh well. I applied at New Whiteland, which is only 10 minutes down the road. And Josh found a site that said Greenwood is needing a part time K teacher, so as soon as he gets home and shows me that site, I'm applying there as well.

I'm also reading Perelandra by C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and Do You Think I'm Beautiful by Angela Thomas.

Sooo... yeah. I hope you enjoyed the update!

Beth

3 comments:

melissa said...

perelandra is good. but i still need to read that hideous strength. and i read anne of green gables for the first time ever! it was cute.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

i've only read the picture book version of ann of green gables. i'll have to read that some time.

ashley said...

Anne of Green Gables is my absolute favorite book. Anne reminds me a lot of myself. :-) I think you should definitely read it, Beth. I think you'll really like it.