Tuesday, April 17

My Own Rain ... Child

I recently rented Rain Man from the library and have since enjoyed watching and chuckling at Olivia in her little routines*. Both grandmas who helped out with Olivia in the first couple weeks after Benjamin was born can attest to her strict adherence to her bedtime ritual. (She needs her blanket; she doesn't care if it's 80 degrees in her room. It's always been there and thus must always continue to be there!)

Well, here's another Rain Man moment from our lives:
A while back, I started the Chronicles of Narnia (back when I only had a toddler and a bump in my belly, thus more time to do frivolous things like read books and, oh, I don't know... blog?) Any-who, I started with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, like any good Lewis fan would. Olivia would see me reading it, and at times even fetch it for me when she felt it would be a good time to read. In short, she became attached to it. Well, time passed and I finished that book. I moved on to The Horse and His Boy. But when Olivia found out that I had replaced The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (henceforth to be called TLTW&TW for my own sanity), she didn't quite understand why. I began to notice that where ever I set down The Horse and His Boy, it was soon to be replaced by TLTW&TW. I'd put it next to the rocking chair to read while we rocked, on the end table next to the couch, on my night stand - she would find it and replace it with TLTW&TW. I just laughed it off.

And then I started Prince Caspian.

Same thing.

I am now on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I actually started it before Benjamin was born and I'm sure I haven't picked it up since. It's been in the pocket on the side of the rocking chair for a few weeks now, untouched. Well, Olivia found it today. "Ooooh," she said. And she took it over to the bookshelf, put it back, pulled out TLTW&TW, and placed that in the pocket instead.

*She is not autistic, autistic savant, or idiot savant. She just has her... preferences... :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olivia is obviously a VERY intelligent young lady. Hope she doesn't give you a hard time about reading the other books!

ashley said...

Hehe that's so awesome!

My favorite line: "I started with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, like any good Lewis fan would."

I think it's so cool that Olivia can recognize which book is which! Perhaps you should start teaching her to read. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Little kids love routine. She is gaining some concepts of print by knowing which book you're reading by knowing the cover and color of the book. Perhaps there's something on the cover she likes?

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Hehe, it's Tumnus! She likes Tumnus! He's on the cover of the book. :-D