Tuesday, March 20

Anger Management

So I've been trying to post pictures for the past couple days and Blogger won't let me. Not through Picasa and not through the normal upload process. Anyone else having this trouble? Until I figure it out (or you do for me) you'll just have to put up with written posts. Like this one:

Olivia has progressed from unbridled rage to a form of anger management. Only, we're not sure how healthy her particular form of "anger management" really is.

See, she bites things.

And not just a playful nibble. In the middle of a tantrum, she will look around for a suitable object (amazing that she does this in the heat of the moment), most of the time it's in her hands or she's wearing it. Occasionally, it's the couch. Then she grips it with her little teeth and growls like a rabid little animal while shaking her head back and forth ferociously. Most times she'll test out a couple things before finding her preferred biting object. It's so humorous to see her running around the room biting things.

But we need to work on not laughing because this is most likely something that should not be encouraged. Especially when the suitable biting-object is her own finger.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

What I noticed when one of your picture-uploading attempts didn't work was, the image path was to 'localhost'.

What this means, practically, is that you need to make sure to upload the images to the web before posting, perhaps instead of using the 'Blog This!' link in Picasa, if that's what you're trying to do. So, Upload to Web Album from Picasa, write your post in good ol' Blogger, find your photo on the web in Picasa, and use the 'Link to This' code to embed the picture in your post.
Or, write your post in Blogger, then add a picture with the little icon that appears in Compose mode. This method seems to be a little less reliable, though, and I use it less often.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

You're right, I was trying that "Blog This!" button on Picasa. It's always worked before! When I realized it wasn't, I tried that "Add Image" in Blogger and the won't work either; it always times out. I typically don't upload my pics online until the end of the month so I don't accidentally upload the same ones twice. I might have to make an exception if Blogger doesn't change its attitude here pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't have kids, so you can take my info or leave it. I have, although, worked with a lot of young kids, etc.
I believe she is biting because at this stage she cannot use her words to express her anger. I think she is finding that there are limits that she newly experiencing. The bad part is that she will probably move to biting those she is angry with, or something else less desirable. I would hate it if she learns that this is okay and perchance bites the new baby, as I can see that this would be a big time stressor for her.
My advice is to have her learn another more desirable form of anger management instead of the biting. Perhaps find a stuffed animal and show her to hug it and go to a "safe spot" until she is calmed down. Model and repeat. This should work until she gets old enough to communicate about anger.

Just my 2 cents.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

That's some pretty insightful advice, Bonnie. I'm so glad I have such intelligent friends. :-) We'll try the stuffed animal approach and see how that goes. Thanks!

Jes said...

I think it's kinda funny. but yah, it would be bad if she decided to bit you, Josh or baby boy.

Beth @ The Natural Mommy said...

Don't feel bad Jes, our reaction is to laugh out loud everytime, too! hehe. We really should get some video of it sometime. And then show it to her high school boyfriend. (that's what home movies are for, right?)

Anonymous said...

That (video thing) wouldn't be nice, Beth!