Friday, March 9

Terrible Twos

I have decided I want nothing to do with the Terrible Twos.

You mothers of children aged two and older are laughing at me right now.

Let me explain myself:
I've come to the conclusion that I do not want to use or hear the phrase "Terrible Twos" in reference to my daughter. What is there to benefit from labeling a child as "Terrible" for an entire year of her life? I should not make her actions seem worse than they are by using that phrase. Also, I cannot make her actions acceptable simply by using that phrase. And I should be building my daughter up in the eyes of others, not tearing her down. I am proud of her. Quirks and all. Bathtub poopies and all.

Disobedience is a frustration to parents. As are temper tantrums. But there is a reason for them. My daughter is learning how to live with boundaries. She is learning what to do with her free will within the guidelines we have set up for her. It must be a frustration to her during this time in her life. She is realizing her independence and her responsibilities all at the same time and is trying desperately to figure out how to mesh them together and still keep everyone around her happy, including herself.

Labelling this stage of her life as "Terrible" puts a bad taste in my mouth and mind before she even has a chance to disobey. How unfair to her. This is a wonderful stage of discovery and learning. Conversely, it can also be tempting to let disobedience slide when you have a ready excuse such as the "Terrible Twos". This is also unfair to her as she needs stability. Right is right and wrong is wrong, no matter what age you are.

Becoming a parent has given me so much more appreciation for the ultimate patience and love of God. I'm 24 years old and I am still trying to mesh together my free will and my responsibilities. And He has yet to call me "Terrible."

1 comment:

Dave and Ruth said...

Aunt Martha didn't agree with the idea of "terrible two's" either. She said it should be the terrible 12 to 24s (months or years!). But I like what you wrote, so if you ever catch me talking about the terrible twos of my granddaughter or grandson, be sure to reprimand me! I'm more than half a century old, and I, too, am still trying to mesh together my free will and my responsibilities.
Love ya,
Pop Pop